Postmodernism and Technology in Don Delillo's Novel The White Noise
This paper aims at investigating the effect of postmodernism and technology on the social life in Don Delillo's novel The White Noise. In this novel, Don Delillo portrays the chaotic life by using modern technology which has been presented by three ways. The first way is by television as being a source of information and entertainment. The second way is by the toxic event whereas the third is by Dylar's episode and its destructive consequences. He depicts that through the atmosphere of Jack's family plus its effects on the life and thoughts of the elders and society. He proves that technology is leading humanity not to safety, but to death. He further highlights that by showing the impact of technology on the life of the main characters in his novel The White Noise.
● Bahradwaj, Neelam. (2016) “Don DeLillo’s White Noise: A Postmodern Techno-Scientific Novel”. IJELLH, Volume IV. Issue VIII, pp. (103)
● Crystal, Lisa. (2008) Technology and Faith in Don DeLillo’s White Noise. pp. (1)
● Connor, Steven. (2004) The Cambridge Compansions to Literature. United Kingdom, UK: Cambridge University Press. pp. (62-72)
● DeLillo, Don. White Noise, the United States of America: Viking Penguin Inc. 1985. pp. (22-325).
● Hummer, Katelyn. (2013) The Green in White Noise: Consumption, Technology, and the Environment. pp. (3-4)
● Jameson, Fredric. Postmodernism. Durnham: Duke University Press, 1991. pp ix.
● Jacobsen, Gry. (2009) Living in Dangerous Times: Identity, Volition and Anxiety in Don DeLillo’s White Noise and Falling Man. pp. (Jacobsen 14).
● Keep, Christoper and McLaughlin. (1993-2000) “Defining Postmodernism”. Retrieved on 2/1/2017 Link: (url//http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/elb/hfl0242.html)
● Leitch, Vincent B. (2017) Postmoder Theory of Technology: Agendas: The Johns Hopkins University Press. Retrieved on 3/22/2017 Link (url//https://muse.jhu.edu/articale/178143).
● Mondal, Puja. (2016) “Postmodernism: Origin and Definition of Postmodernism”. YourArticleLibrary.com. Retrieved on 3/3/2017 from: (url//http://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/essay/postmodernism-origin-and-definition-of-postmodernism/38463/)
● Powers, Richard. “White Noise, Don DeLillo ; introduction by Richard Powers”. Retrieved on 4/25/2017 from: (url//http://avidreader.com.au/products/white-noise-penguin-deluxe-classics-ed).
● Starn, Natalie.(2013) Cognitive Mapping in the postmodern novel: Philip k. Dick’s Ubik, Kim Stanley Robinson’s the Gold Coast, and Don DeLillo’s White Noise .pp. (38-52)
● “postmodernism: definition of Postmodernism in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)”. Oxford University Press. Retrieved on 2/1/2017 Link: (url//http://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/postmodernism)
● Wyard, Adrian.(1995) Postmodernism. Macmillan Magazines Ltd. Retrieved on 3/15/2017 from (url//http://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/gengloss/postm-body.html)
● Wahab, Sazali A. and Rose Che.(2012) Defining the Concepts of Technology and Technology Transfer: A literature Analysis. Vol.5, No 1, pp. (62)